Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Time To Sow

Just a few years ago (ok, a number of years ago) I was excited about spring break and hanging with my friends some place warm & sunny ... things haven't changed too much. Now I'm a SHAM in her 40's who is so looking forward to some warm weather and hanging out with my favorite people (my kids & hubby) in our own sunny warm backyard, playing on the swing set, kicking the soccer ball around, riding bikes, and hanging on the deck.

When the kids are at school, hubby is at work, working on my apron business, and my daily family chores are complete, I will spend every spare moment gardening (it is my ultimate passion). Gardening can be a costly hobby so I grow almost all of my annuals & perennials from seed. I placed my seed orders last week at Swallowtail Garden Seeds and Park Seeds. I have many many many seeds in my stash to choose from as well.

Speaking of stash - doesn't that sound familiar to all of you that sew ?!?? Admit it ... you have a stash! The 'stash' (fabric, seeds, planters, collections, toys, etc.) has gotten out of control at our house so I've gone cold turkey on the sewing projects for a couple of weeks so I can get our house in order. It started out I was going to spend a couple days organizing my sewing area which is also my seed starting area so it's a must to get that fabric organized to lend some space. Now two weeks later we're still on a mission organization frenzy. This only happened because I had to completely empty out 2 living rooms and 1 dining room in order to get our carpet fixed and re-stretched throughout the first floor of our house. The night before the carpet repair men came out, it took my hubby and I about 7 hoursto empty out these rooms. It took a lot of creativity to store the furniture and all of my junk. I have to admit I'm ashamed of how much stuff I had stashed away in corners, cubbies, china cabinets, etc. so I'm totally inspired to get get rid of junk and tidy up the house.

My one goal with getting the house organized so that I can start sowing seeds and getting ready for the gardening season. Once it gets nice outside it's hard for me to stay in the house so I hope my mission organization will help keep us on track so we can all enjoy the spring weather (when it gets here).

To help get on track I had to go cold turkey on the sewing projects for a couple weeks. I have a couple outstanding orders for some friends so I hope they understand I needed to take a break and plan to be back to sewing machine next week to finish up those orders and start on my spring aprons. And of course, I'll start to squeeze in a little seed starting as well. I highly encourage you to sow a few seeds .. it's just as fun to sow as it is to sew!

Here's a good video from Organic Gardening Magazine on how to start your own seeds:

No comments: