Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day {Rainbow Jello Trifle}






Making "rainbow food" seems to be quite popular lately...cakes, cupcakes, candies, and jello are just to name a few. I love the idea of the rainbow jello so I made a Rainbow Trifle for our St. Patrick's Day dessert.

I admit there's a mistake here because I didn't follow the directions closely on the white layers. You will notice mine are a bit 'lumpy', the white layers should be smooth. (It still tastes the same, but next time I'll give myself more time and be more precise). So read ALL the directions before making :) ...

You will need:

  • 6 - 6oz boxes of Jell-O 
    • Cherry
    • Orange
    • Lemon
    • Lime
    • Blue Raspberry
    • Grape 
    • (Use any flavors you like as long as the colors are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet)
  • 2 boxes of Unflavored Gelatin (such as Knox)
  • 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used 2 cans)
  • 1 large Trifle Bowl or dessert bowl
Step 1:
  • Mix 3 envelopes (there's 4 envelopes in each box) of unflavored Knox Gelatin with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water
  • Mix until gelatin dissolves
  • Add 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • Mix until combined well
  • Set Aside
Step 2:
  • Make your Grape Jell-O Using the quick method on the back of the Jell-O box (You can use which ever flavor you want. I wanted Violet to be my first layer.)
  • Pour the Grape Jell-O into your Trifle bowl
  • Place in the refrigerator and let set for 20-25 minutes
If you do not use the quick method, you will need more time to let the Jell-O layers set

Step 3:
  • Pour 1/3 cup of the Sweetened Condensed Milk mixture on top of the set Jell-O (you may want to use more depending on how thick you want the layer)
  • Place in the refrigerator and let set for 10-15 minutes
NOTE: The condensed milk mixture that you have made and set aside will most likely solidify while sitting out. So place the mixture in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to liquefy again (this is where I made my mistake in the first few layers..it was all clumpy - still tastes good..but would look much nicer if I did it correctly)

Repeat Steps 2 and 3 alternating Jell-0 and Sweetened Condensed Milk mixture. If you run out of the sweetened condensed milk mixture (like I did), just make a second batch using Step 1.

Once you've finished all layers, top the Trifle with dollops of Whipped Topping and Garnish with Chocolate Candy Coins (If you want).

Happy St. Patrick's Day !!

8 comments:

Maureen McCabe said...

I pinned this on Pinterest. Hope that is OK. Rainbow is big there.

Let me know if it is not OK. Are you on Pinterest? Your site is the kind that people like to pin. So visual.

I wish I had a trifle bowl. This would be fun for St. Patrick's Day or even summer.

Punkie Pie's Place said...

Thank you for pinning! And thank you for the wonderful comments. I am on Pinterest...hope to find you there.

Unknown said...

This looks like a very fun summer treat my daughters and I can make together and then sit out on the deck and enjoy the yumminess....I'm going to look for you on Pinterest

marthalittlefieldsettles said...

Can't wait to try this rainbow trife for the 4th of July using Red, white and blue!

MissyB_in_NJ said...

this is really nice! ooo, r/w/b sounds neat too. Thank you for posting it!!

Thomas' said...

I have wanted a Trifle bowl for so long now. I'm going to splurge and get myself one so I can make this for the 4th of July. I think my teens will absolutely love this, and when you think about it, it's really not that bad for you (I'm dieting-lol). I repinned on Pinterest too.

36LORI2009 said...

Oh my!!! This is as dreamy as it looks! I had no left overs and no complaints! Wow lots and did I say lots of wow!!! ;)))) Thankyou for sharing! Godspeed!!! Lori Nevers. <3

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I'm gonna make this for my daughters Monster High birthday party to go with her black, pink, purple, and blue Monster High cake!