I'm always looking to try out new cupcake designs but don't necessarily want to make a dozen or more cupcakes. I found a great recipe on Pinterest for One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two made by How Sweet It Is. It is a great recipe and can be doubled or tripled to make a small batch of cupcakes.
Today I made Mardi Gras cupcakes by doubling the recipe and coloring cupcake batter purple, green, and yellow. I came up with a buttercream frosting recipe that makes just enough to frost 4 cupcakes. This came out to be the perfect little treat for family to have tonight in celebration of Mardi Gras. I doubled the One Bowl of Cupcake for Two to make Four prefect cupcakes.
Vanilla Cupcakes For Four
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter,melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2cup flour
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with 4 liners
- Divide Cupcake Batter into three equal portions and place in each in three small bowls. Color one portion purple, the second portion yellow, and then third portion green.
- Fill each cupcake wrapper with equal portions of colored batter so that you have all three colors next to each other.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Frost with Buttercream Frosting (see recipe below)
Color one portion purple, the second portion yellow, and then third portion greenFill each cupcake wrapper with equal portions of batter so that you have all three colors next to each other
Buttercream Frosting for Four Cupcakes
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons shortening, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon half and half (or cream, or milk)
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter,shortening and salt until smooth with an electric mixer
- Turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar
- Add the vanilla extract and increase the mixer to medium
- Beat in the heavy cream and mix on high until the frosting is fluffy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.