Over the weekend I was really in the mood to make salad for dinner but that doesn't always fly with my kids. So I needed something to go with the salad but would be tasty and interesting for the kids to eat. They love junk food - Buffalo chicken wings being an all time favorite of everyone's. But that wasn't really my plan. I have made Enchilada Cupcakes and Lasagna Cupcakes in the past so I thought heck, let's try the Buffalo Wing Cupcakes. I have have read several recipes online so I just went with what basically what all others have done. I did make my own Buffalo Wing Sauce - it's a low-fat sauce and you don't need to use much to make these and it is delicious. These Buffalo Wing Cupcakes are somewhat guilt free if being compared the fried Buffalo Wings from the local tavern.
Here's the recipe. Give it try. These are great for dinner, as an appetizer or to bring to a party. They taste good right out of the oven or warm temperature. I placed a little shredded lettuce and dollop of blue dressing on mine - yum!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- ½ cup hot wing sauce (recipe below, or use your favorite bottled sauce)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces) - for blue cheese lovers, double this! For those that don't like blue cheese, you can omit. :)
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and wing sauce. Stir to combine until fully mixed.
- Begin layering your cupcakes. Start by laying a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture in each cup, sprinkle 1/2 the cheddar cheese over the top of each cup. Top each cup with another wonton wrapper (press down a bit), spoon another layer of chicken mixture into each cup and tip with remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle a bit of blue cheese on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin. Note: You may use a knife to loosen the edges to help remove the cupcakes from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with with shredded lettuce and some blue dressing (optional).
This is a low-fat hot wing sauce that I use on chicken wings, dips, and now on Hot Wing Cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1/2 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread
- 1/4 teaspoon dried celery flake
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
In a small saucepan over low heat, mix together all ingredients. Let this mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.