Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chocolate Cream Cake Topped with Ganache

 Yep, I needed a chocolate fix...

 
 
 
No complaint here with this delicious Chocolate Cream Cake Topped with Ganache for dessert tonight. We never have dessert like this in the middle of the week. But oh, I couldn't resist. I have been searching for a week for the perfect 16th birthday cake for my son and pinning my favorites over here. I found a couple chocolate cream cakes, but chocolate is not a favorite of my son's (what's wrong with him?), but that rolled up chocolate cake filled with a delightful cream was bringing my back to my childhood does when mom would treat us with a box of Hostess Ho-Hos!. It just was calling my name for days. So I made this cake today (yes, two days before my son's birthday. I guess we will two cakes this week). I made this using a combination of different recipes to make it my own. Later this week I'll post the 16th Birthday Cake he decided on.

A note to the recipe is I did not use all of the chocolate ganache (it would have been too much, in my opinion). I  drizzled a little more than half of the ganache onto the cake, and then kept the remaining to be used for dipping strawberrie, bananas, pretzels. etc.

Ingredients:

Cake
  • 4 oz. each semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup flour, divided
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2/3 cup brewed coffee
Filling
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 oz of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
Chocolate Ganache
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions: 


MICROWAVE 4 oz. chocolate chips and butter in medium microwaveable bowl on High 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add granulated sugar; mix well. Beat eggs in large bowl with mixer on high speed 3 min. or until thickened. Blend in chocolate mixture. Add 1/4 cup flour and baking soda; beat just until blended. Add remaining flour alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

BAKE 15 min. or until top of cake springs back when touched; sprinkle with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Immediately invert cake onto clean towel; remove pan. Carefully peel off paper. Starting at one short side, roll up cake and towel together; cool completely on wire rack.

BEAT cream cheese and sugar in a medium mixing bowl until fluffy. Add cream and whip until soft peaks form.

UNROLL cake carefully; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture onto cake, completely covering top of cake. Roll up cake; place, seam-side down, on platter.

COOK the chocolate chips, heavy cream, in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.

DRIZZLE Chocolate Ganache over cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Note: I did not use all of the ganache - so use what is to your liking.


Enjoy! 


This post is linked with The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck

3 comments:

Erin said...

found you at the potluck :) looks delicious! Pinned for later!

The Better Baker said...

Yes please! I'm one of the cohosts at Weekend Potluck....and wanted you to know this recipe really JUMPED out at me. =) Looks fabulous. Thanks so much for linking up at WP. Hope you enjoy a wonderful weekend...and come back next week.

Unknown said...

What size pan should you use?