I had to try it ....cauliflower pizza crust! It has been popping up all over Pinterest, Facebook, blogs, cooking shows, etc. I admit this one had me fooled. I would have never guessed it would taste like pizza. I've tried many recipes using cauliflower in place of other ingredients (such as chicken, potatoes) and every time it still tastes like cauliflower. This time I was fooled and my family was fooled even more so. They had no idea. My daughter said it was the BEST homemade pizza ever. It was delicious!
I found The Lucky Penny had the best recipe and instructions on how to make it. I made some slight adjustments to her recipe but pretty much followed her instructions. Hop over to see her Best Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe and great instructions or follow mine below.
Pre-bake the cauliflower crust:
Top the crust with your favorite toppings:
Bake..and then dig into your yummy pizza:
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (you really need the salt)
- Place a pizza stone place (or baking sheet) into a preheated 450 degree oven.
- Rice the cauliflower in a food processor (pulse about 30 seconds until pieces are size of rice). A small to medium head of cauliflower should make 2-3 cups. I feel 3 cups makes the perfect size crust.
- Place the riced cauliflower in a microwave safe dish, cover and microwave for 4 minutes or until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower in a tea towel. Let cool enough so you can handle it and then wrap it up in the tea towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can. Very important step - squeeze, squeeze! :)
- Mix the cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, oregano, basil, salt, press the mixture onto parchment paper or a baking mat. Pat it down and make sure it's tight and no holes. The crust should be about 1/4 thick. Pat it do It will feel wet and you will think there is no way this will turn into a crust. It will, trust me. Now slide the parchment/baking mat onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes. (you may need more or less time, bake until it starts to brown). Remove from oven.
- Add sauce, cheese and toppings. Use your judgement on the amount of sauce, cheese, etc. I used a heaping 1/4 cup of pizza sauce, and a few handle fulls of mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni for my toppings.