A simple popular recipe. I remember this Pistachio Cake from when I was a kid. I think every gathering we attended someone brought this cake or some type of dessert made with Pistachio pudding. The cake is moist and the frosting is light and refreshing. Everyone loves it!
You can make some alterations to the cake. Such as, you can serve it plain and dusted with powdered sugar. You can add chopped pistachios to the batter for an extra crunch if you'd like. Also, the cake does have a nice light green color to it and makes a great St. Patrick's Day dessert. Add a few drops of food coloring to bring out the "Green" on the holiday! (For this cake, I made it as follows with no alterations).
Pistachio Cake with Pudding Frosting ...
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C veg oil
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 pkgs instant pistachio pudding
- 5 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan (bundt pan).
- In a large bowl mix together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, water, and oil. Blend ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into prepared 10 inch tube pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 1 8 oz cool whip
- 1 pkg instant pistachio pudding
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
Beat pudding and milk on slow speed for 1 minute until blended. Fold in Cool Whip. Ice cake and store, lightly covered or in a cake carrier, in the refrigerator.