Torn between chocolate or vanilla cupcakes? Go with best of both worlds. These were made with my two favorite cupcake recipes which are basically doctored up boxed cake mixes. The vanilla frosting is an basic buttercream frosting while the chocolate is a rich cream cheese chocolate buttercream. Swirl these together and yum!
Two cupcake recipes makes a lot of cupcakes (approx 36 cupcakes). Therefore I had quit a bit of cupcake batter to play with. I went with making a pan of swirled / marbled vanilla and chocolate, a pan of plain vanilla, and a pan of plain chocolate. Then had fun decorating with different cake tips (Wilton Round 2A tip, Open Star 1M tip, and French 4B tip)
Served up a mix for a Saturday night teen girl sleepover. The girls loved them!
And there were even some leftover for the girls to bring home the next day.
- 1 Box white cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, gently combine oil, egg whites, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Sift in cake mix and stir.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl beat together the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and espresso water mixture. Beat on medium speed until well combined, approximately 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners with about 3 tablespoons of batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
For Chocolate Vanilla Layered / Marbled Cupcakes:
Fill each cupcake liner with 2 tablespoons of vanilla cupcake mix, then on top of each vanilla filled cupcake liner, add 2 tablespoons of chocolate cupcake mix. To make a marbled cupcake, lightly swirl the cupcakes with a knife. I chose not to swirl and just left them layered.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups (10 to 12 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons (1 to 2 ounces) milk
- Cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in the salt and the vanilla. Add the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of the milk, and mix well. (Don't over mix). Adjust the consistency of the frosting as needed by adding more confectioners' sugar or milk. Yield: 2 1/2 cups.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- milk if needed
- Beat butter and cream cheese until mixed well, about 2 or 3 minutes, scrape down bowl as needed. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar. If your buttercream becomes too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk. .