It's that time of year again and my kids have headed back to school this week (hard to believe, summer time always goes way too fast). The upcoming weeks require us to attend many school activities, sporting events, picnics, and fundraisers. All needing for the kids to bring a dessert. These sugar cookies are a great homemade snack or dessert to bring to any school event. Rather then rolling in white sugar before baking, roll them in colored sugar, matching your school's colors. Such as, our school colors, which are green and gold. They are easy to bake and easy to transport to any event. Kids love them!
Recipe for Sugar Cookies ...
Adapted from Taste of Home Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- colored sugar for rolling (I used green & gold)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in colored sugar. Place on greased baking sheet (or use parchment). Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Have A Great School Year!