- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup Guinness stout
- 2 Tbs plus 2 tsp molasses
- 3 extra-large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Using a paring knife, scrape the seeds and pulp into a medium saucepan. Add the vanilla pod, milk, and cream, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat, cover, and allow the flavors to infuse for 30 minutes.
- While the cream is infusing, whisk the beer and molasses together in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk a few tablespoons of the warm cream mixture into the yolks to temper them. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture, whisking continuously. Pour the mixture back into the pot, and return to the stove.
- Stir the beer mixture into the cream and cook the custard over medium heat, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. The custard will thicken and when it’s done will coat the back of the spatula. Strain the mixture, and chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- When the custard is very cold process it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.